Wednesday, May 18, 2011

O is for organization!

I have come to the conclusion that my house is completely inefficient due to a surplus of stuff.  That it has been this way for quite some time.  And it is the major source of stress in my life (aka filling my heart with rage every time I open a closet and things fall out on me).  I've spent the last few months complaining to my husband, complaining to myself (because, really, I'm not sure how often my husband listens to me), trying to figure to get this house in order, and how we ended up with so much superfluous stuff (really, five vegetable peelers, why do we have five vegetable peelers!?).  Last week I downloaded a guide to get your house organized in 30 days in only 5 minutes a day.  Even though I haven't actually used the guide (I definitely need more than five minutes a day), it did give the necessary kick in the pants to get up and get organizing.

I've decided to tackle the house in a West to East orientation.  That way I get some of the hard stuff done first (kitchen) but also start with the easy stuff (living/dining room) and save the master bedroom for last (the worst room in the house, this is where junk goes to die).  Yesterday I completed the first half of the house -- kitchen, living, dining, family, and entry way.  Yay for me!  Unfortunately, the house is actually looking a little worse because I have the dining room table piled with stuff to get rid of at a garage sale.  At least before everything was hiding in the closets/cupboards. However, if you were to open my closets or cupboards, the neatness would blow your socks off!  Which I would then have you pick up and put back on because we wouldn't want to clutter up my nice clean house. :)

Organizing is a challenge with Sig in the house.  Mr. Busybody wants to help.  "No, mommy does not need you to stand on the step ladder with her.  She already fell off once and she doesn't need you to help her break her neck.  She's more than klutzy enough to accomplish that on her own."  I did enlist my dad to come up one morning and play with Sig while I cleaned out the entry way closet, which is when I fell off the step ladder and, thankfully, came out of the situation unscathed.   I was just glad I had another adult in the house at the time.  I've since restricted myself to only using the step ladder when Mike is home because it's always good planning to have someone available to take you to the emergency room.

The rest of the house (except the master bedroom) shouldn't take me too long.  Mike went through the garage and set out some boxes I need to go through.  The nursery is well organized and I need to get out the next size clothes for Thor anyways.  Man, I can't believe he's moving into size 9 months already!  He'll be 4 months on Friday and is a little moose!  Sig's room is also pretty good since we cleaned it out this winter to move him into it.   My goal is to have the house clean by middle of next week.  I also told my mom that I'd come down and go through the rest of my belongings at their house.  I'm not sure why I offered to do that.  Maybe I have a brain fever that was induced by too much cleaning.  I guess since I've got the cleaning bug, I might as well make the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment