Sunday, May 1, 2011

If I were king, dilly-dilly

All right, my obsession with the royal wedding has to stop.  I don't even know where it came from.  I was wishy-washy on Thursday as to whether or not I'd watch it at all.  I mean, I have babies.  I have responsibilities.  I value the few hours of sleep I get at night and do I really want to waste them watching complete strangers getting married?  Plus, I was getting sick, not really the best time to be up all night.  But come Thursday at 11 p.m., I'm making myself a nice little bed on the sofa, Thor's pack'n'play pulled close to the couch, and my iPhone alarm set to go off at 1 a.m.  I figured, what the hey, I'll be one of those insane people who watch it, but I'll keep my cool.  I'll watch it with irony.  Yeah, irony and sarcasm.  I even set my iPhone alarm to play church bells.

One a.m. arrives.  I groggily turn the t.v. on.  My throat hurts.  I sit there for an hour watching the Today show and their boring coverage of the guests arriving at the wedding.  Shoot.  I should have slept until 2.  What the heck am I doing up at all?  I'm sick.  Why am I watching this stupid wedding?  Thor sounds a little congested but is snoozing peacefully in his crib.  Should I just go back to sleep?  Oh wait, there's David Beckham.  Really, what am I doing up watching this wedding?  It's not ironic that I'm up watching this circus, it's just stupid.

Two a.m.  Here come the princes.  Ok, now it is suddenly getting a little more interesting.  I feel my irony slipping.  And some of the hats are just down right gorgeous.  The important people are arriving.  They keep showing David Beckham, too.  And really, I think that would be my policy too.  When things get boring, broadcast Beckham.  Royals are arriving.  Here's the Queen looking very proper and sweet in her yellow outfit.  Very English granny.  Trying to be sarcastic about the Queen.  Can't come up with anything.  Then the lady of the hour: Kate.  Irony and sarcasm slip into oblivion.  Look at the pretty bride!  She's a princess now!  Squeal!!!     

Three a.m.  Watched half the ceremony.  Made it through the vows and a couple songs.  Discovered what my wedding was missing: little boys in livery.  How cute!  Decided that I'd watched the important stuff and I could catch whatever I missed on the internet.  Grab my baby and head to bed. 

Later on Friday I did watch the processional and balcony scene.  Sig came in while I was watching Wills and Kate on the balcony.  He waved back at them, which I thought was cute.  I'm sure my husband was rolling his eyes.  I've also caught myself reading articles on the internet about the hats, honeymoon, and other particulars.  I really do need to stop.  But maybe just one People magazine, with lots of pictures.  Just one, I swear!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Your best one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things will be fine as long as you don't purchase commemorative mugs/jewelry/clothing. and if you mail me that magazine when you're done with it...

    ReplyDelete